Celly Story

Friday, 3rd February 2006

Mat-Salleh Land. Four straight days. Impending deadline. Tomorrow.

Yet, being the pemalas haram that I am, I lazily browsed through the world wide web for important information (yes, more important than sourcing for references for my nearly overdue assignment!) on the latest mobile phones.

Yes, my Nokia Communicator 9300 is on her way out as Azim has ceased to use his 9500 as he finally realized that its gargantuan body is only cool for gargantuan old men. He is now very feeling Transporter II as he wields his new phone, the one that took us ages to find in stores all over the world (cheyyyyyy....action only....but I really mean the world- Dubai, Singapore, Perth, Sydney, London etc etc!). Anyway, since my 9300 was only there to match his 9500 on our wedding dulangs and thereafter, without its partner, my 9300 is moot.

Actually, in truth, I am loyal to my cellies. I use a mobile phone till its surfaces gets scratched enough to warrant a cry for help and as long as it is does not render itself obsolete and kebelakangan zaman (as in circa when my peers start carrying new phones that can take x-ray images and my phone still reeks of VGA), I lovingly carry it till death do us part. This is quite a mobile metamorphosis considering I used to be a commitment-phobe for phones when I was in school. I would buy, try, lose, replace and swap mobile phones just so I can try a new one every other week or month. Sometimes, I trade-in a phone to get that new one, only to miss the old one and trudge back to the store to try and convince the handphone ah-beng to gimme chance and gimme back my old phone.

Another contributing factor to my celly dalliances then would be my position as an allowance-waged student who gets paid in two-digit amounts most times by the garang and pelokek parental units. Not surprisingly, I would not have enough pocket-money to pay my phone bills (paid for in full for first few months by my dad who then gave up hope when my total billed amount of schoolgirl chatter greatly surpassed his amount of business talk) and a few months would accumulate. My line would then be temporarily disconnected till you can settle the outstanding balance at your convenience (M1's euphemism for "pay up your bloody bill or else you cannot action-terror posing with your handphone anymore!!"). Being the "carefree" student that I was, I turned up my nose at M1's hantar kepala babi letter and triapsed down to the nearest phone shop with my brother's/ mother's/ nenek's IC and bought a new phone under a heavy contract. The phone would usually cost under a hundred dollars. The bills later on(with the contract and all) would be ten times that. I really couldn't care less. I was so jahat. My mom was the one who would always quietly pay those bills for me lest I kena tangkap masuk handphone jail for not paying. Also, the registered name for one overdue bill was my nenek's name. Kesian kan if they start hounding little ol' lady for a handphone bill she didn't even know she had!

Ironically, when I could finally afford my own mobile lifestyle, I lost interest in keeping up with the handphone times and stuck to a phone for as long as I could but I settled my own bills on time and didn't run up thousands of dollars worth of calls (not all the time lah). I guess I became very malas with switching numbers from place to place, deleting treasured SMS-es, re-downloading new wallpapers, screensavers and ringtones and re-configuring my settings. The thousand dollars that were used to pay for overblown bills now pay for arm candy, thank you very much. Also I can get attached to a gadget very easily, since, as an adult earning her own keep, I actually have to make an effort to afford that gadget's price. See, I still have my loyal Amy with me. She's not going anywhere, this smelly old lappie of mine (padahal baru one year old!).

So today, I plowed through the world wide web to look for The New Hotness so that I can begin my new relationship. Delightfully, on the search for the new, I bumped into the old on a mobile phone website that probably had every, single, non-PCK phone in history. And I found a few familiar faces.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Actually, all my familiar faces. All these were once the phones I once used. I felt this surge of sentiment building up in my gut as I scrolled through the phones of my past. From my first handphone, a gift from my dad to me when I started JC (a brand new but really fat Motorola C-series) to the two phones I was using just before my N9300 took over on the 21st of April 2005, one for my Dubai line and one for my Singapore line (the Samsung S300 and the Motorola V690).

I dropped one of those phones and killed it in my haste to attend hockey training while I tried to convince my dad, who was on the line, to let me go to a college party (which I was still firmly banned from going!). The replacement phone later delivered the good news that I was accepted into MassComm. I cried myself to sleep on one phone when the guy I was with in poly dumped me for another girl and he called me back on another phone when he changed his mind within few weeks. On a new traded-in phone I got dumped by him again. And on that same phone, some time later, I dumped him for good. Another phone was used months later when I told the rebound 8-month long boyfriend to take a long walk of a short pier after I first exchanged phone numbers with that cute guy with the curly hair, Azim. And the one the love-of-my-life new boyfriend Azim threw out the window and survived with only a few scratches when we had our first bad couple's quarrel. And then there's that phone he gave me as a gift, which received that call that Emirates gave me to let me know they want me.

All my history, all my handphones. They are all here, my old pals. My ex-cellies. I think I just got on a time-machine of sorts. Going retrospect with the sight of the retro. *sigh*

Moving along, I have finally narrowed down my search for my The Next Big Thing. Though I am not a sucker for size, I do appreciate sexy curves, sleek lines and cool features (it also helps if it is not a popular phone thus not used by so many people...my lame attempt to be unique lah ok?!) . From the gazillion phones I have drooled and deliberated over for the past few weeks, I now have six finalists in two camps. Unconciously, I have chosen six phones that can form two groups to nicely divide my selected finalists into so that I can make a more organized decision.

The Skinnies
Image hosting by Photobucket
The LG P7200 - The BenqSiemens EF81 - The NEC L1




The Hefties
Image hosting by Photobucket
The Samsung D820- The Nokia 6270 - The Nokia N92



So which Hotness will have the honour of donning my Prada phone cover? I'm not sure but I think I will be sure soon. Now, I have to panic about my undone essay.

Taking deep breath.....


*panic attack sets in*

No comments: