The United States of Raihan

Tuesday, 30th August 2005

The greatest lesson my mother taught me, not at all by way of words, is forgiveness.

Her enduring patience, her unrelenting faith and her generous heart took the years of pain from her face and hid them somewhere where no one can really see where the last five decades went.

So when one looks at her now, with all her beauty and grace, the laughter in her eyes and the warmth in her smiles, they wonder how is it that she still looks like she could be my older sister instead of my battle-weary mother.

And one thinks it is with some anti-ageing dollop of goo or some serum of sustenance or some phenomenal beauty secret she keeps to herself. Of course, it is easier to believe it's a chemical reaction, especially if one knows the trials and tribulations my mother faced in her life from everyone she loved. Even her much-adored firstborn -me, kept her awake at night with her heart stacatto, as I raged through my pre-adult life with a rebellion that never ceased to show mercy to the woman who loved me enough to stand between me and someone wielding a heavy wooden object. By the way, that heavy wooden object did hit her where it was intended to hit me.

So, no, the radiance in my mother's face is not an anti-ageing secret. It does not exist in cream, chemical nor serum. Not even in a magic spell.

It was just forgiveness. The sheer power of it is a force so strong, you cannot even feel it so at first you think it does not really exist. Especially with so many hearts so hardened with anger, hate and revenge.

But it does.

And I will.

______________________________________________________

To the person hell-bent on making life difficult for me,

I have other battles to fight now. I leave you with yours and it is yours alone, my dear. If you include my name, it is with the knowledge that I will have no say and no means to fight back for I'd rather let sleeping dogs lie. If you include stories of me, whether fact or fiction, it is with the knowledge that I will never know what you have said for I believe that ignorance, on my part, is bliss. If I lose friends or would-be-friends because of you and the things you said, it is then my knowledge that they were never good enough to be in the company I keep in the first place if they choose to share such prejudice.

I lose nothing should I lose this battle to you.

So, you win. Everything that you say you are and whatever you say I am, yah......okaylah. Gasaklah. Whatever greases your spoon.

You win, okay?

______________________________________________________

On a lighter note, I will be in Singapore for at least a week and people in da blog, put your hands up! If you wanna chill wit me, put your hands up! If you wanna go party, put your hands up!

Okaylah..I'm not so much a party girl but a chill pill at Kaki 5@Arab Street would be perfection, no?

And Anna Martina, you better balik on the next flight home with me. I can fall asleep on your shoulder and air-liur basi all seven hours home.

Oh and my beautiful look-like-me-but-more-lawa-than-me cousin Soraya Salim (yes, BH's hottest reporter!!), I'm coming to your nikah AND your wedding AND I will probably bawl my eyes out when the girl whose Barbie shoes I stole gets married and all grow-ed up. Because of you, I had lovely childhood holidays at the Alexandra fire station staff quarters. Because of you, I could imagine being part of a huge family. Because of you, I never really got lazy with my studies coz you were there like a big fat perfect report book above my head, taunting me with all your A's.

Now you kahwin-ing also and the old fire station is now gone and I did get lazy for a bit but I still adore you,babe.

I will see you soon.

Have a smashing hen night at the Fullerton Hotel!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough. I go sleep now. Moronic prose beginning indicating brain slow down. Right about now.

26 comments:

jewelhenna said...

babe, you chose the right thing, Alhamdulillah. because i've met you and have spent some time with you and know what kind of a person you are, my friendship is yours. from this entry, i'm reminded of a thing or two. being able to forgive and forget is not exactly my best forte but that's just because i'm a egoistic, arrogant person (like the rest of us? i wouldn't dare assume). nonetheless, i'm inclined now to be more humble and less arrogant, insya Allah.

on a lighter note, i am SO gonna henna ms soraya salim. is that awesome or is that awesome? will i be seeing you?

in any case ....

*jewel enthusiastically puts both her hands up ala hermione granger*

~jewel~

kyla_t said...

TIDAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh call me hor

-anna-

Polly said...

Helo! Dont knoe u but like ur spirit, logic and creativity in handling ur prob. Sumting to learn.

ina said...

/me out both her hands up

nak party with raihannn...i nak!! i tak kisah!!! hehehe :)

hope to see u babe :)

Alles-Lila said...

sounds like a very matured & level-headed, raihan. hooray!!! love your level-headedness and your capacity to forgive :)

eh, me pun nak chill out tapi tak leh sampai malam, so how?

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwww raihan....u are juz too sweettt..:)))) *paiseh* hey...u are definitely gorgeous, dun deny that ;)

but ur entry did make me feel all sentimental thinking about our childhood together..those were really fun times seh..i really treasure those memories...

nway i sooo cannot wait to see you wif ur azim on my special day..we must take lotsa pix okie...im really thankful u could actually make it for my wedding...soooo exciting!!
till we meet...
luv ya babe! :))

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Soraya's wedding too! heehee

So I guess there's a chance we'll be seeing each other at her nikah? And again on sunday?


Sidetrack abit. heehee.

To Cik Siti S S S (aka Shabirin's wife-to-be):
oh gawd, i just realised his name also starts with an S. haha.
SEE YOU FRIDAY!

Anonymous said...

"If I lose friends or would-be-friends because of you and the things you said, it is then my knowledge that they were never good enough to be in the company I keep in the first place if they choose to share such prejudice."

Well said!

TwinkZ said...

hey awak comin back?

just to let u noe my dear~kaki 5 will be closed till this Saturday as the owners are away in London for the airing of their indie flick. heh.

Pupu Sulaiman said...

wah ada party ek...? woo.. thats sound fun.. :) can I join kerr? hahah yeah ryt, I'm in Brunei lohh.. haha :D have fun yeah.. ;)

Sharafynna said...

Dear Raihan,

Ada tempat party yg boleh masuk dgn ferring(tudung)tak?
I pun nak party jugak nie...
My 2 hands are up till u touch down in Changi Airport. Heheheh...

Tania Feldthusen said...

HI there sweetie.. (Mrs Azim)

Thks for the wishes.. ok ok.. u rite abt the TLC part.. yes, i get another guess bag.. and yes, i got a pair of earrings.. but seriously.. i dun expect them.. hehe.. tot its juz hugs and kisses.. and long strolls.. :)

hope u had a great wkend ahead.. cheers..

P.s: Captain say hi ..

Alles-Lila said...

eh, shall we just meet at sharinna's? kherkherkhe....

Anonymous said...

ek..anak cik munah si siti nak kawin???? wow... lepas satu cuzie aku kawin, sorang lagi kawin.. tapi aku tak dpt dtg ler... biasa lah... ek..siti look like you ke? hmmm..dah lama tak jumpa...entah2 bila aku balik spore, semua tak kenal aku...

Alles-Lila said...

evening, raihan. nice to hear from you just now :)

Lydia Sarip said...

hola hola.....


party party.....bila tu?

bleh join?

Trina said...

I CALLED YOU U DIDNT ANSWER, I SMS-ED U, NO REPLY.

QUOTING WAT MY MUM SAID,
The greatest lesson SHE taught me, NEVER TRUST A SMILING TIGER!

thanks ah BABE!!
thumbs up to u!

nt enuff with the number of current blind followers, u intend to drag me into the mud as well!!

BAIK AH!!

Aliyah said...

thumbs up....i like those words. reminds me of my ma.... :(

hey! i wanna chill wif u too....can i?

*blink*blink*

Anonymous said...

hey there, i know this is gonna sound really bizarre but i need your help as you are the closest i can find that is somehow connected to emirates. can you please contact me at facial_cotton@yahoo.com ? i seriously, seriously hope to hear from you soon. please..

Anonymous said...

hi rai rai!

are congratulations in order?

your 'what column on the right seems to suggest so. *grins*

Anonymous said...

Hey girl... this comes a tad too late too but thanks for the wishes! And yes, I was referring to THE IDA from Crescent. She has 3 now, and as you know, so does Zati. Remember Roselelah? She has 2. And I heard Nurul Huda has 1 already. That means the rest of us have a whole lot of catching up to do! Can we expect one from you anytime soon? ;-)

gaffal said...

eh dubai beb.

drop by, and blow me away with your global escapades.

Fork Concepts
721A North Bridge Road (right smack in front of Indulge Patisserie)
Tel: 6299 1721

ej said...

such a waste of bandwidth. hehe. but God needs a laugh sometimes. :)

Almost Perfect Mum said...

eh eh best nyer, ader chilling session...adik nak itot!! kekekeke

Anonymous said...

who needs days of our lives?

Anonymous said...

when u want to show me Siti's wedding pic? my mum told me that u took pic wif my granny at Siti's wed.