Wednesday, 1st June 2005
I just returned from a lovely Amman flight I was pulled out for whilst being on Airport Standby.
Now, being on Airport Standby is quite similar to being on death row. You sign in willingly, though quite half-heartedly, knowing full well your chances of getting screwed (with a sucky flight) or getting pardoned (with a fantastic flight, like a Seoul or a long Singapore/Brisbane/Auckland) is a very, very cruel 50-50. And in the midst of all this, you know you deserve this mental torture since you signed the contract a year ago with all the woebegone flourish of your limp wrist. Then you wait and wait and wait, till the Briefing (Prison) Officer comes up to the waiting (jail) area, and calls the next death row incarcerated crew (criminal) by staff (convict) number.
And when he does, you hold your breath and wait for his next few words. The very next few words that will dramatically change your life. Well, for the next few days, at least.
Today, when my staff number was read out after just signing in a mere ten mintues ago, the numbers fell like a honed axe on dry, brittle wood.
"2-8-7-3-5....."
"ME!" I yelped, not even waiting to hear the rest of my staff number. I knew who the first few numbers added up to already. Me.
"Come with me," he said pleasantly.
"To where?" I managed to squeak out in apprehension.
"To the briefing counter, my dear," he replied.
I hurriedly stuffed my laptop back into my cabin bag and hustled over to the briefing counter, my heart actually vibrating like a supercharged Phillishave. Please..please..give me a good flight or don't give me one at all, I mentally pleaded with him. Please..please..my husband's coming home tomorrow and if you give me a lousy layover, it won't justify my not being around when he returns. Or if you give me a lousy turnaround, it won't justify my being here.
I have never sent out so many thought-pleas in one minute.
"Raihan, you're going to Amman."
And just like that, my breathing returned to normal again. Amman, Jordan's capital, is a three-hour flight away and back, which gives me at least six hours of flying time, which is better than a short Karachi or Bahrain or Muscat, which would give me about half that. Three hours of a Karachi flight is comparatively sucky considering the fact that if I did not get pulled out, I can go home after just three hours of airport standby and still get paid two hours of "flying time". Getting paid two hours for doing nothing is better than three hours of doing something till blood comes out of your ears. I hope you get my logic before blood comes out of your ears.
And with an Amman flight, I can return home today in the late afternoon, with most of my day satisfyingly used-up and do whatever I want to do with myself for the rest of today . Then greet my Azim upon his arrival from London tomorrow.
And the premium to my Amman prize was, I was operating in First Class. Which meant a better passenger profile, classier stuff and more flying pay for me. Oh and better food.
Crew were okay and I met a fellow Singaporean crew babe, Salina and the stuff we talked about just goes to show how small the world is..no matter how far away in Dubai you are. She knew people I knew, I knew people she knew, she even slapped a certain person I knew straight in the face and because of that, Salina babe, you are in my good books. A thousand points for girl power, that's what it is. Heh.
All in all, for my first Airport Standby, I was dealt a good deal.
Prada sale, here I come!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Ahhh....airport standby, I bet my mom is gonna get like 2 of those this month as June is her reserve month. Cross your fingers she doesn't! LOL! Well today, she got called out for a 3 day trip, 2 Chicago layovers with the first one being 23.50 hours, not all that bad. I'd be glad to do that trip for her in a heartbeat!! Hehe!
So you worked in F class today eh? Pretty cool! :) But I always thought you can only work in your grade? Guess not! Can't wait to be a F class cabin crew!!!
i have loads of questions so i seriously beg your pardon before anything else. well, here goes...
1) what's a layover and what do yu classify as a lousy turnaround?
2)were you to get a karachi flight, does that mean that you'd be paid 2 hours of flying time?
3) so, for those who operates in first class, they get more pay as compared to those in economy. why is that?
i'm so sorry for the ignorant questions. thanks in advance, dearie.
Raihan...did i see u type 'prada sale'??? oh-0h.......
i have a london to give awayyyyyyyyyy.tapi tak ada orang nak.called in sick for cairo cos penattttttt after gatwick,they gave me immediate minumum rest for cairo..lucky it wasnt u getting pulled out if not u'd kill me...
when to catch up and yes,my kepala back to hitam again.heh.
raihan lawa...i wanna know about Project LECEH! heheheh.
hi raihan.. it has come to my attention by a few friends of mine (who happens to know u or read your blog .. as u say it's a small world!) that my name is being mentioned on here. which is cool by me... just that by saying "I knew people she knew, she even slapped a certain person I knew straight in the face and because of that, Salina babe, you are in my good books" ... well it seems a tad bit inappropriate cuz by reading in between the lines, it sounds as if i have been bi.tching about someone we both know which in any case i didn't. i don't have issues with any of u and i'd like to keep it that way. well i've decided to post this just to clear the air... plus really, i don't need to be in anyone's good books. have fun flying.
such a bitch. there's no "air" to clear. raihan's statement is concise with no personifications. grow up woman. why fear what ppl perceive. your mere presence here have just caused repercussions and attract undue attention. raihan meant well. there's no "in-btwn-the-lines"..seriously, how old are you?
1stly, i wouldn't call a stranger a bitch. 2ndly, i don't fear what people perceive me as (hence, i don't need to be in anyone's good books). 3rdly, i am clearing the air for the sake of keeping the peace between all. i've had enough of people asking me about raihan and how we met. she's a nice girl from what i see when we flew together, but i can't cope with people asking this and that, malay style. 4thly, i don't need to attract undue attention online as i've got enough in real life. so trust me, anon, u can give me none. seriously, how old are u?
Post a Comment