This pap-shot of the VB and the VB's Baby going for dinner recently at some swish LA food pad has everything that I like inside it.

Let's dissect.
Vicky Beckham herself? Check. With her classic Pob bob (which I will never resort to despite it being SUCH a fab style coz EVERYONE now has a carbon-copy bob cut!)? Check. With her equally classic and surely feigned pinched-yet-slighly-terperanjat-at-the-amount-of-attention-she's-getting look? Check. Lovely tan in a shade of gold I can never darken to coz I will just turn a crappy shade of brown? Check. In cute and quirky dress? Check. In one of my favourite shades of green? Check. With cute Hermes Kelly Bag (one of her gazillion arm blings from Hermes!)? Check. In another one of my favourite shades of green? Check. Holding hand of cute husband? Check. In a shirt of one of my favourite shades of blue? Check. And a pullover of a lovely shade of purple? Check.
It's all about colours, I know. I'm obsessed. And now for the stupid, mundane, trivial and very very thickheaded question of the month:-
What colour for this year's Raya?
Yes, I know, such a silly thing to ponder over when it's only been a week since the start of Ramadhan and when there are more pressing matters in the outbox but I can't help it, I bimbo like that. This bimbotic quest for the right colour...it's inherent and indispensable. Getting married has made this soalan cepu emas even more critical, as the call for affiliation via colour uniformity becomes more urgent. Why? So that in those festive crowds in packed homes that usually come with most Raya gatherings, people would immediately know who you're with. I think.
Actually, I don't know why it's so important, seeing that the people who will be seeing us will be people who are likely to have attended our wedding or have at least been informed that we're hitched. So even if in someone's house, I'm taking a crap in the bathroom and Azim's talking to a bunch of once-a-year relatives in the living room, people will know that this is Azim and his wife is Raihan or rather, that thing they smell. And they know who we are with NOT because we're both wearing matching colours but because...uh....people just know lah....word tends to get around fast in The Makcik Network, wedding invite or not. Furthermore, clearly, we will not be popping into any random complete stranger's home during Raya so it's safe to assume everyone will know which Familia we belong to (not like we have much of a Familia of our own to lug around..it's just him and me currently and of course, the ones we were born into!) without us having to actually be clad in matching palettes. And even if we do get a screw loose while stuffing our mouths with Raya fare and go waltzing into every other Malay home we pass by, wouldn't a name tag suffice? Or an "I'm with him/her" T-shirt pulled over our baju? Or a simple "Nie suami/isteri saya!", primitive but effective?
No? Too simple? Still bent on the need to match? No problem. Honestly. For as I look back on my last two years of Raya pictures where I matched my husband (ooooh...how precious!), I must admit, this matching thing was easy on the eyes. And as I recall, it was also nice to see families pounding the pavements together during Hari Raya, purposefully striding to various relatives' houses, in carefully orchestrated matching baju-baju, either cut from the same cloth (pun intended!) or in various shades of that same colour. It's pleasing to witness tradition like this, where the family is united by a mere choice of colour. This whole festive fashion parade just makes Hari Raya complete, don't you think? Albeit only on the superficial level, it just....looks nice. So whatever evasive unclear reason that might have started this tradition, I'm quite settled with the sole purpose of aesthetic value. So let the search begin.
And I do wonder now, how I started with Victoria Beckham and ended with Hari Raya traditions when the twain shalt never meet.

5 comments:
Hello raihan..
Long time never lv a comment.. and since u just posted this today.. I took advantage :)
Firstly, thank you for putting up the perfect couple picture. I love them both to bits.. its weird that the lady i love from spice girls ended up with the man i love from the ManU.. match made it heaven:)
Dun forget to share news of juniors ya.. :)
Take care dearie.. Slamat berpuasa..
love,
Tania Feldthusen (official oredi liao..hehe) @ Kimita
Hi Raihan
its me Rai(hanah)!! HEHE. thank you for dropping by my humble blog and taking ur time to leave me a tag!!
and oh yesh, whats a Raya w/o the colour coordinated borias right? ;P
hope you and mr azim have a good weekend and selamat berpuasa to you too!!
ps: in reply to ur tag, yep, that was chrysler 300c courtesy of my hubby's best buds!!
pps: ure in my links of favourite people, ok?
love,
the other Rai
i agree wid you
on e lovely choice of colours e beckhams adorned. minty ice green, sleek midnite blue wid fuschia, shades which most would veer clear off yet dey pull off effortlessly. kudos i say.
however, i disagree
dat altho e Pob Nob hairdo is evrywhere these days, few are able to carry it off. afterall face shape & features come into play as do hair colour, like you mentioned. juz coz a hairstyle is mirrored by others doesnt necessarily make it any lesser of a fabulous cut. if dat were e case, wad bout e fate of bangs, curls & bobs? shud all of those b avoided juz coz dere are "carbon copies" of em everywhere?
face shape dahling... and balls. many ppl can wear e look but only a sprinkle can be fabulous. i say dun limit urself, wear e look & own it. =)
HALO!
Haiz..wait till you've got an addition to the family. Den muz think abt what the addition is going to wear. Especially, if the addition happens to be that of a female species.
Sumtimes, Raya can be veri leceh. Why cant we juz celebrate it one day and thats it.
Aniwey...happy ramadhan!
luckily, mine's a son so tak yah nak pikiaq wat colour to don him. this year he's in rompers, baby! hehehehe
Post a Comment