Blacked Out

Friday 19th May 2006

Okay. I must put this up. I need to quell my nerves.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Guess who is going a REAL Arab engagement "party" dinner today, after much persuasion by the sister of my Arab friend, who did not want to go alone?

Yeap.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Me.

Please don't laugh. I look as I feel. A mess. The nervous expression you see here is genuine. The dinner, like all real Arab events, have a special hall for women and a special hall for men so we're all partying (whatever Arab partying would mean) and dining by gender. No mixing. Well, maybe I'll run into a few Arab men in the parking lot. Then again, I think I'm going to go with the valet parking for once. Yes, my fat unglamourous Murano amongst the sleek Bentleys and shiny Beemers.

No, I am not nervous about being face to face in a social setting with beautiful Arab women with their noses-as-sharp-as-knives and their skin as smooth as silk. No, I am not nervous about being in close proximity with the beautiful Arab men, the White Ones with their elegant gutras and egaals (I got over that obsession long long already!). No, I am not nervous about fumbling my Arabic and screwing up the gender-specifics. No, I am not even nervous about my abaya being the cheapest one in the sea of beautiful black.

I'm more nervous about wearing the abaya per se,for the first time ever, in public.

And yes, to the makcik-makciks who might be asking, the real Arab ladies wear the abaya here in the UAE with the jambul showing, as roughly demonstrated by yours truly here. Heh.

Wish me luck, y'all!

PS: Azim honey Babushuknya, I WISH you're going to this thing with me instead of being in another continent.....again. :(

PPS: On another note....waahhh...three posts in a day! I am on a roll, baby!

No comments: