First Of The Last Didn't Last

The first day of the last month of this year went by so quickly.

Well, partly because I woke up at 3.30pm. With left eye glued firmly shut with kerak, no less. Initial plan to go many places to do many things yesterday obviously thwarted because many places we need to go to do those things close at 5pm.

Liberating my left eye from industrial-strength eye gook already took nearly half-an-hour. I wasn't left with much choice. Yesterday's plan would have to be done today. That is if I can go to sleep soon and wake up later like a normal human being. Hopefully, before the sun hits the middle of the sky, I'm not even asking for a sunrise moment.

However, our house's buzzing a little from a bit of family activity so I'm blogging to slow down my engine a bit before I go to sleep.

Aforementioned family activity is in the form of the in-laws. Azim's parents are sleeping over. Our first guests for our guest room! They're leaving later tonight for Cairo, for good. They think it's best they're there full-time for Azzat, Azim's brother, to get the most out of his Egyptian education so they're renting out both their houses here and going over to live amongst the Pharaohs.

Now, my mother-in-law's packing, with Azim's help (they're trying not to exceed SQ's cargo allowance...but I don't think they're succeeding), the father-in-law's sleeping (the dude's exhausted from the events of these past few days..no, I'm not going into detail...penat!) and Phatt's trying to squeeze himself into every piece of luggage he can find that's open and can fit his fat ass. All the time...Phatt does it ALL the time...whenever anyone's packing or unpacking, that's where he'll menyebok. Imagine the kerfuffle if he accidentally got packed and locked into a bag that's meant for cargo check-in? I can't even begin to think about such a tragedy, more so since it will be a painful consequence based on extreme feline kaypoh-ness. I can see now where that "curiousity killed the cat" saying came from. I've got a live demo everytime I'm packing for a flight.

Besides that sleepover party, my sister's bunking in too. My mother's on a short company holiday and my sister's bored to pieces at home because the overall authority for her social life is busy with her own social life. With my mother away some place that's sometimes unfriendly to mobile phone networks, my sister's finding it hard to get the permission to go out with her friends and asking permission from The Nenek to go out is just not the same. And I don't want to register myself on Zihan's Board of Directors -I'm a real pushover -I'll probably give her permission to do pretty much anything so I'd rather not pull at that thread.

So Zihan really needs my mom's green light, then she'll go on outings with her classmates, movies with her galpals or sleepovers with her best friend. Plus, she seems to be able to operate any form of outside school/homelife only with my mom's permission or else I know she'd feel guilty. That's one of the reasons why I say my sister's a better daughter than I ever was. I had two parents when I was under parental governance so when one gives a red light, all I had to do was to seek permission from the second parent(without shedding some light on the already-given red light), with a better presentation (or rather, misrepresentation) of where I'm going, who I'm going with and when I'll be back. Which would almost always score me a green with that unassuming second parent -who would always be my late father. Yes, I miss him.

So anyway, I am my sister's saving grace before, in her own words, she "dies of boredom" at home. That's why she's here, in our study room, on the big comfy sofa, fast asleep. We had a mini-rendesvous of sorts earlier and she's drained. Didn't need a comfy sofa to knock her out actually. Oh and Hana, if you're reading this...we found The Shepherd's Pie BUT it was kinda closed because the oven broke down! Talk about bad timing! Dude behind the counter said we can wait if we want but Azim's hunger pangs are poking him right where it hurts so we passed and had Tang Tea House's beef hor fun instead.

So you see, yesterday's not a day of much achievement. What with David's call sometime in the late afternoon about them missing out on a very important form -which might delay our delivery by "a bit", I'm about ready to put on cranky pants and mope. December didn't start as successfully as I wanted it to.

But today's another day. And InsyaAllah, by December's end, we'd have the things we need to have in order, albeit delayed a tad. Above all else, I should just be thankful that I'm alive, with the people I love. With more time in another day to do all the things I want to do.

I just hope I won't be sleeping away all that extra time.

Have a delicious December, superstars!

No comments: