Only Grand Days Ahead...

Thursday 16th October 2008

Today's the birthday of one of my favourite ladies....



...one of the two who cried buckets (tears of joy!) at my wedding. The other one who cried is this birthday girl's daughter -my mother. So that makes this babe my nenek.

Selamat Hari Jadi Ke-73, Puan Ramlah!

Yesterday, when TheLaki and I went over to my mom's place for dinner, I caught birthday girl merrily polishing off a bowl of raspberry ripple ice-cream with cherry toppings. Knowing her doctor recently told her her diabetes is still on a rampage and she needs to control her sugar intake, I was surprised to see her going at her dessert with gusto. But before I could say anything, she saw me looking at her disapprovingly and, with a sheepish grin, calmly defended herself with a short speech about how old people shouldn't need to control their eating habits obsessively just because they're afflicted with old-age illnesses. She believes good food should be enjoyed at whatever age we're at. Seven...seventeen...seventy-three. Because we're all going to the same place in the end anyway.

She then proceeded to ask for a second helping.

Yes, my nenek so gothic like that. She and Marilyn Manson should totally get together.

No comments: