Surprisingly, it was officially announced that today would mark the first day of Ramadan in the United Arab Emirates. I was thinking Sunday would be it, like in Singapore, according to my mother. So we were all caught quite unawares, here in Dubai, and when Azim scoured Carrefour yesterday for some last minute Ramadan stuff while I was away on a short turnaround, he reported a definite surge in frenzied supermarket goers, preceeded by their brimming trollies and wailing babies.
So now, Azim's busy in the kitchen preparing our sahour and I'm busy...not doing anything much. Like the tired, achy-legged and baru-balik-full-load-Khartoum-flight wife that I am. He told me to chill while he grills. :)
And so marks the first sahour of our second Ramadan together. Later today, he'll be in Bahrain and I'll be in Dubai at the point of our first iftar. But we'll sahour together again for the second day.
Then for our second iftar, he'll be in Dubai and I'll be in Nice.
Oh well. There will be days like these and there will be sweeter days than these, when I get to iftar with my husband, in our modest little apartment, with our humble pies.
InsyaAllah.
To everybody else reading this, whether you begin your Ramadan today in Dubai or tomorrow in Singapore or Australia or anywhere else, Azim and I wish you a blessed month ahead.

Ramadan Mubarak!

No comments:
Post a Comment