Last year, Fortune magazine ranked Russia Land-of-Vodka’s Moscow as the second most expensive city in the world. First would be Tokyo.
And for the past few days, Moscow rendered me senseless as each tag I turned over, on each shopping trip I went on, showed me astronomical prices….not in Russian rubles but in US dollars! I kept all my allowance, all three of my Visas and my sole Amex safely snug in my card case. No way am I contributing to the retail industry this time. Needless to say, I wasn’t surprised at Fortune’s financial findings.
It hovered on the point of being quite ridiculous on the first day when, after scouring the room, finding the Minibar filled with vodka, vodka and more vodka, I couldn’t find the standard hotel room coffee/tea set with the electric kettle. I called Housekeeping to borrow one. I needed my green tea dosage fervently. A strongly Russian-accentuated voice informed me that they could not lend kettles out but they could bring up boiling hot water. Fine, bring one up. Pronto.
"Oh but lady, you must know that you will be charged $3 (DOLLARS!)."
"THREE DOLLARS for WATER? Bring up the kettle, I have my own water!"
"No, lady, not for water. For bringing up the water."
"Oh."
Because I was not patient enough to fight for my right to keep my US$3, I relented. Fine, bring one up. Pronto. When the houseboy rapped on my door to give me the pot of boiled water, I stared at him very hard. He walked five meters for three dollars for the hotel. How nice for him. I'd bet my $3 that my money will actually go into the hotel's coffers and not into his pockets. Corporate scums.
That day I drank my cups of green tea like they were liquid gold. Days thereafter, I was told by a fellow crew member, I could turn the tap on hot for a minute till steam rises from the sink and use the hot water from the tap then. It's safe enought and most importantly, it's cheap enough. It's free.
Such is the liquid legislation of Russia. They give Vodka shots away for free at almost every shop you step into. But please pay if you want water. It never crossed my mind before that I'd be charged for not taking alcohol.
However, Moscow is very interesting and very intruiging with all its history of Russian spies, KGB and such. And since it was snowing all the time (yes, ALL the time!), everything was white and white is, as everyone knows, my favourite colour. So I was surrounded by my colour of power. I enjoyed the city via a group tour with my team on the second day. For four hours, we went around historical and important places in Moscow. To name a few, the hotel the communist officials used to stay, the museum where they displayed spy gadgets and weapons confiscated by the KGB Russian spies, the palace with 24K gold domes where Lenin and Stalin used to stay, the convent where Peter the Great banished both his wives to, the Hotel Russia, the hotel with 6000 rooms, and of course, the Kremlin. Everyone in my team were camera whores, including my very cute First Officer, Micheal, who looked dashing with his woolly fox fur Russian winter hat. We took pictures, played with snow, got into a snowball fight, got wet, some got dirty and I, in true Raihan konon glamour style, fell down ungracefully, smack on my ass, in the snow.
Ouchies.
I gotta go take a shower now. So many things I have to do before my departure. Gym, breakfast, pack. I'll upload the pictures when I'm back in Dubai, as well as the pictures I took in Manchester, that I totally forgot about.The Internet here is not free but I'm sneaky yet I cannot be sneaky for too long. They'll sell me to the KGB if they catch me freeloading.

Spasiba!
--------------------------------------------------------------
PostScript Entry:
Before it becomes a ball-breaking blog backlog:
Liyana: Pay no heed to those who spit venom with their words. They do not validate you so farkit. And if you hear any bad shit about Asraaaaapppp....farkit. It's doesn't matter if it is the truth or otherwise. Both of you are happy now, Asraaap takes immaculate care of you and bullshit is irrelevant here. I must tell you, however, based on my own experience, that our past-life's half-lives and all their associates are sneaky balls of scum with uncalled-for hatred boiling in their hearts and should you get any flak with sign-offs like Anonymous or any other fake names, be almost certain that its all from their camp. And then, be amused at their atrocity coz YOU know better what's really bunching their panties. And it's green.
Mariani a.k.a Nazir's fiance: Hello girl-who-tamed-Nazir! How are you,babe? My goodness,of all places to meet again. So you're using Fatimah MOHSIN too? Excellent. And pls horr..tell Nazir to reply to my Frenster message coz I asked him for his mailing addie to mail my invite. Or YOU could give me urs. You know how men are with things like this. And your wedding is in December kan? Lagi jauh from wedding insanity, lucky you.
Natasha: AAaaahh.. now I know which coffee you are talking about. And it is Arabic coffee, available easily in Dubai so I don't have to sneak it of First Class coz it might get my ass whipped. SO I'll get it for you and pass it to you when I'm in SIngapore for my bridal studio shoot on the 17th March kay? And gahwa means any coffee in Arabic. Not specifically Arabic coffee. Oh and you have been my First Class passenger eh? POSH!
Vivaglam: Okay...first of all, thanks for kembanging me. :) 2nd of all, and for all who wish to know, BML is this Fillipino skincare range designed for Asian skin aje so it's really effective. When you first start using it, your skin peels as though you have gone through laser surgery but after a week or so, it starts healing and ur skin looks.....fab. There are pitfalls though, you have to be anal retentive and use it religiously or else the effect wears off. And the effect is...your skin actually glows and freckles and dark marks just disappear. I've stopped using it for a while in Dubai coz I couldn't replenish my supply and my skin just looked boring and coupled with my period hormones once every month, I was mortified. I couldn't easily get to replenish my supply coz the shop is in JB and when I fly into Singapore on duty, I cannot go out of the country and I have no time.And they have one in Kembangan but it's more expensive and also very leceh to get there from the crew hotel. But it's worth it when I finally made the effort recently. Oh and when I needed to heal the peeling pronto, I used Clinique's turnaround cream overnight. :)
Shireen: Enuff has been said. I'll see you in Dubz.
Darling: Yes you can link from your blog but I also want to link you so how? Give me ur addie laaaaahh... tak mau shy shy cat. :)
Dolyah: Yes, I am very happy with my choice of Fatimah MOHSIN. It seems all the ones with good taste used her. Actually, I did not even look for her. My photographer just popped her name to me and a girlfriend vouched his choice coz she also used her for her fab wedding. So Alhamdullilah. I am satisfied that I made the right choice without having to crack my head!
Nura: Hey awak..KITA TAU AWAK PREGGIES! I went to ur blog tau but ur tagboard is gone so how to congratulate u on Mini Nura?!! I'm sure she'll be like a miniature of you eh? Heh. And Abang Yunos so kembang you complimented him on my blog. Heh. So when is baby due? I saw a gorgeous Liz Clairborne baby cardigan with pink flowers and all......perfect for Mini Nura! And thanks for the well wishes.
AngelSoul: Wahahahaaaa......the Eligible Bachelor has FOUND me. SO ...what do you think? :) isk..why am i leaving a message for you here. I'll go terrorize YOUR blog.
Jewel: Go see your blog. I got proposition for you. I'm taking you up on your challenge. I will be henna-ed but not on my hands and feet. Muahahahah......
Izzati HotMomma: I saw the pics. GORGEOUS. See you on the 20th eh, ex-Cresentian?
Shaz: My MSN addie is raihanrusselland@msn.com but I am seldom on MSN tau! In fact, I actually deleted the program from my PC but my sister put it back in when she was in Dubai that day so she can talk to all her menyek 11-year-old frens in Singapore. Chet!
TwinkZ: Thanks for that lovely testimonial in my Friendster. It's was so overwhelming, I had to sit down to read it and I was on my way to go PEE. Terpaksalaah tahan kencing coz Twinkz so sweet. InsyaAllah, I will be able to attend yours. AS long as you come to mine.
Baby21: Can ..can ...can linky link. No problem. :) Thanks for the kembangan kompliments.
Diah-san: EH see...I GEDDIT. Takde K. It's MOHSIN. yaa yaah...sorry lah..I seem to have a tendency to spell Mokhsin like that coz got this super cute Paki/Iran guy in my batch who goes with that spelling. (yes Fishah, its the guy I want you to marry!!) Heh. And darling, my wedding is on the 20th April.. 17th and 18th is in MARCH for my Bridal fitting and shoots. aahh...takpe...you'll still come to my wedding,no?? Must come or I'll hunt you down.
Rini: The e-mail I sent to you bounced back coz I took a blonde moment and forgot to put .com in ur addie. Heh. I'll send again later coz got more stuff to tell you. :)
So that's that. I'll be frolicking in the snow again in awhile after my shower. And I just found out, my Singapore line has no MMS service. It NEVER DID, not with my old line and not with this new one! Hehehe...no wonder I have people saying they sent me MMS pics but I never ever got them!! I can't receive MMS and I can't send. I didnt know I had to subscribe! I thought it was an automatic thing with all photo-readable phones. Well...that's another of Raihan's blonde moment for ya!
I can feel the onset of another blonde moment.
*blink*
*blink*

37 comments:
Raihan,
It'll be an honour to be one of your bridesmaids. I'm on.
Ohhhhh... you look soooo good in that cowboy hat!!! eee ba ee ba am brear....
bummer, for once i tot we would share the same wedding dates sey. but takpe, takpe. when i get married i'll remember you and think, "Raihan was having her bridal shoot exactly 8 months ago"
jadilah, daripada takde tu kan. :)
ok, nanti confirm aku datang kau kawin man! i wouldnt miss it for the world beb!!! but hor, saya ader big problem, harap tolong. saya must find somethin really nice and somehow grand to wear. RITZ CARLTON LEY, dont play play. baju2 saya setakat gi hotel transit macam HOTEL 81 boleh la.
:(
:: DIAH ::
hey sis. nice lah ur 3rd pic. u look like a cow-gurl!! so cute!!
wey gadis lembu, saya lagi menunggu... bilakah blonde moment awak nak abis? *taps fingers*
diah, saya pong blom cari baju. kalau awak hotel 81, kita fragrance hotel. :p
-rougey-
Raihan dearest,
U look so GORGEOUS in tat pic..
like a true blue COWGIRL.. :D
I think I'm fallin in love wif u..
But fret not, i'm not a lesbian.. :)
Raihan, ure so utra-gorgeousy in dat cowboy hat....lurve ur style..ehehe..ouh so envy u, u gotta go visit Moscow...dat background pix is so breathtaking with the blanket of snow behind.....ahhhh :)
waaaaaaaah...cowgirl in moscow...good enough to visit moscow, eh?
Hallo dearest, my apologies to u too for for not tagging. Im so busy with school & stuff! how ya doing cowgirl? hehe nampak gambar awak yg cantik! well takecare kay! - AnaTheSlayer haha nama sememek.
Oh so u noe its a mini Nura!
Yes yes insyallah!
Amboi amboi mentang mentang snow, cari chance pakai macam model for winter wear!
Stylo Mylo!
Stay glam always k u bride to be!
So exciting.
Now I feel like going through the whole ceremony again.
Take care awak!
hiya..thks for dropping by!
nice knowing u. Shall we link link?
Rouge Wedding Superstar,
You Fragrance hotel ah? Got such hotel meh? Is it transit too? If transit nvm then we in same boat.
Let's ask Raihan, maybe she'll reserve one table for red light district people like us. Then tak payah susah payah nak pakai glam glam hor?
Sape lagik nak join us? :)
Provided we are invited, of course!!!!!!!!!
::DIAH::
ahh diah, you haben married lor... once you tie the knot, i think you'll know ALL the transit hotels by heart!! :p
eh fragrance hotel very frangrant hokay, esp the toilet.
raihan mustmustmust invite us. in exchange for my wedding tips mah. hehe... takpe, kalau kita dua tarak baju, paling2 sewa kat kedai pengantin. HAAA KAU... baru glamer tak kena tempat!!
sorry eh raihan. we sumpah we'll only sewa baju pengantin yang kaler malap-malap punya & yang dah outdated/obit giler... we won't steal the spotlight/thunder/lightning from youlah ok! :D
Rouge, kita go sewa baju pengantin kat Salmah Manap boutique la. Sure colour manap manap one. i mean, malap malap.
Raihan are you in need of waitresses for your wedding?
Takpelah rouge, even if we not invited jadi her waitress oso can!! we will still be able to witness her wedding wat!
:)
Shameless us.
oooh previous comment was from me btw.
::DIAH::
oooh previous comment was from me btw.
::DIAH::
ooh previous comment was from me btw.
::DIAH::
the previous comment was from me btw
::DIAH::
Hi Raihan! Thanks for clarifying on the BML product. heehee. since i am an avid JB-shopper, boleh beritahu di mana lokasi kedai tersebut? Many thanks, and hmm, very the adorable in your cowboy hat. Shall certify you a Russian doll. I think it suits u well ;)
eh oh! ok saw your comment aka challenge. heh. babe, i thrive on dangerous and sexciting challenges so YOU'RE ON! in fact, for giving me a chance to do a back design (thus expanding my portfolio), i'm gonna love you forever! heh. will email you soon with some "specially designed for raihan" patterns.
*rubs hands in glee with wicked glint in eyes*
~jewel~
Cowgirl Dubai! Of cos I'll come to your wedding! :)
It's been such a joy reading ur blog that I've linked u up directly from my blog. Can't wait to read ur actual wedding entries. Ur pre-wedding antics had most of us almost 'delirious' with anticipation.. ;)
psst.. can i link you up..? =)
dear raihan.
thanks for answering my TG question. i noe it was a stuppid question. sorry.
and ur truly stylish. u noe how to dress for all seasons eh? winter ke summer ke. kita kat sini tau singapore style aje. i love the cowboy hat. lawa skali.
hiya raihan!
i gallop my way here...teehee!! saw yr cowgirl suit....so jembu.
another bride-to-be ...woohoo! mcm nak kawin lagik (with the same man) jer. *mentel mode on*
ehh...lucky u been to places. thats the gd thing being an air stewardess.
shall we linky minky sweets?
have a nice day!
>aliyah @irulnina.blogspot.com<
Hi beautiful... I've been a faitful follower of ya blog.Another reason is b'coz I've always wanted to work with EK.I'll be flying over to Newcastle to attend their open days.If you could b as sweet as you look to provide some tips and tricks to win them over the selection process.Then I will buy you dinner in Dubai. Loves...
thankies cowboy gerl..eheheh..u look cool & BEAUTIFUL in tat…so pretty seh..nice nice..i loike! Luv ur skin complexion..*thinking of switching to tat now..ermm..*
Btw, u've been linked. u tk cr sweety.
hiluuuu Mrs Azim to be ;)
U in a cowboy hat, in freezing winter. Only YOU can pull it together. :)
Contribute! Contribute! Shoes, bags, gadgets what nots! to my fat hope blog ekekekek. I am lusting after that tods so much, I am tinking of hibernating and eating only bread n zero taste biscuits on my next long flight. *sigh* Other than lose weight, I get to luk fab with that bag. Good idea u think?
Till then, i shall only resort to lickin my screen.
Bye babe!
Hi there Raihan,
Thanks for linking me up. Anyway, regarding the Suunto diving watch, I'm trying to contact the various S'pore dive shops and see what info I can get to purchasing them.
Tapi, kan, I dunno what type your Azim may want. Ada banyak jenis. You wanna surprise him atau you going to bring him along for the buy? You are well aware of the price range, kan. Very the TAG Heuer punya price.
Okies, that's all. I'll get back to u once I get any info. ;)
PS:What's ur email addie?
I just realised about the liz claiborne thingy.
Awak, baby baby takleh branded sangat tau.
Susah nanti mak nak jaga nanti nyah.
Dia pakai branded,abih kita pakai 3 untuk 10 ringgit nye baju?
Banyak cantik!
When's yr shoot?
Don't drink water the night before or the morning k.
U don't want to look bloated rite?
Hiya Raihan!! been an avid reader of ur blog.Lurvee ur English..me suck at it thou..neway havin fun reading and seeing pictures of the countries u been to..neway u mind if i link u up? and have fun preparing for ur weeding..;)
Goodness this is sooo weird. Communicating with you by posting 'comments'.
---
UNITED LIFESTYLE PTE LTD
Address: 7 Tai Seng Drive
#03-00 RBM Centre, SINGAPORE, 535218, SINGAPORE
Phone: +65 6488 1560 - Fax: +65 6299 4911 - Email: ulifestyle@pacific.net.sg
Product Categories: Field Compasses, Wristop Computers, Wireless Performance Devices
---
I got this from the Suunto webbie. Apparently this co. is the sole importer of Suunto stuff in S'pore. Can try contacting them. n6HR is categorised under 'Urban' so it's almost impossible to get it from local dive shops.
hey rai...my sis n us dah balik ler coz the time wen u went back to dubai we were already on our way home..our flight was on the 17th,in the morning but had to be in the airport early..but hey,Dubai was really the BOMB!..anyways..my sis told me u have a friendster account..can i like add you or somethin?..give me your email addie lah ok?..and your friendster name..and oh yah..gd luck on your wedding photoshoot ok?...c ya!..
Raiiiiii,
i sOOo hafta tell u this, i'll be stopping over Dubai on May 12th & 27th,heh.
*ahem*
;p
Post a Comment