Two Thousand Four.
Brought me many good things. Taught me many good lessons. Made me many good friends. Showed me my current real ones.
Yet as the new year ushers itself in quietly here in Dubai, I get a little melancholic. I think of all the sadness that shrouds this world and all the people dying untimely from floods, bombs, earthquakes and evil Bushes. I think of all the suddenly parentless children who pose a painful irony to childless couples. I think of my mother, brother and sister so far away, dealing with the aftermath of my father's passing. I think of my late father and how I feel about him now that he's gone.
Why does it take a tsunami for us to respect the ground we walk on and love those who walk with us? Why does it take a death for one to appreciate life? Why do adults make such stupid mistakes? Why was I convinced of my hate when I was concious of my love? Why am I so far away from my mother? Why am I such a killjoy?
I apologize.
No, I am not advocating sobered-up homestays but I heard that Singapore's countdown parties have been cancelled and I'm glad. Not so much because I hate new year hoohaas. It's just that I think this particular turn of Copernicus is not such a big deal that we have to celebrate it with such a big bang. With all the tears being shed in the world, prancing around waiting for midnight to strike just seems like a big fat taboo, doesn't it? Countdowns, parties, resolutions, auld lang synes....every end of the year, same usual suspects. New Year propagandas are just recurrent ploys to get the consumer to revamp her life every 365 days, preferably with a higher credit limit on the plastic to dispose of and a bad hangover on the 1st of January. A new year doth not make a new you. We all attempt a divine feat everyday which is to live life. So live it without counting so hard and you won't get hit so much with time slipping away and leaving you gasping for air.
So since I am now the New Year grinch (having resigned from my post as the Hari Raya one), I make no resolutions, I have no countdowns to start soon and I would wake up tomorrow morning on the 1st of January, no different from who I am now (with a little morning breath maybe). So, what can I say now that has not already been said? What can I do now that can't be done in the new year? Who else should I meet that I have not already met? Where can I go from here and now?
Plenty.
InsyaAllah, He will give me another new batch of 365 days. I hope I'll get a good batch again. And I hope the same for all of you lovely bloggers too. Oh and have you heard? Bloggers are named People of the Year by ABC News. Figures. We are the Dolce & Gabbana of the casual worded world, aren't we?
Outgoing: 2 0 0 4
Incoming: 2 0 0 5
Bring it on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
happy new year rairai
i think u rock! i think ur hairulBerok link to the monyet webpage is HILARIOUS! *LOL* yah all of us dun fancy our ex-boyfrens but YOU do it with such style! i hope he sees it!!!! what a whacker sey!
take care
Happy New Year!
Hey sweetie...zati here...*hugs*
May Allah bless his soul~Ahlil Jannah insya'Allah...
You take care hun.... *Muacksz*
P.S: Your blog never fail to amuse me...bring it on baby~!!!!!
Post a Comment